Conservative Organizer – 2016-2017
The Montana Abolition Coalition is a collaboration of organizations and individuals that value justice and are committed to repealing Montana’s death penalty. The Coalition continues to successfully bring together a wide range of people from across the political spectrum for a common cause. While this diverse group may disagree on a number of issues, we stand united in our commitment to abolishing the death penalty.
About the job:
The Conservative Organizer is a full-time position working out of the offices of the Montana Catholic Conference. Office location /home office is negotiable; however working in Helena full time is expected during the legislative session. This position will include working flexible hours, evenings, and weekends. Statewide travel is required.
The position will report to the Coalition Director. Salary will be $2,300-2,600 per month, commensurate with experience. The contract will be for the time period of August 1st, 2016 through April 30th, 2017; with an option to extend the contract as funding allows. Employee will receive a monthly allowance to purchase or be reimbursed for health insurance benefits.
Target start date for this position is August, 2016, negotiable.
- Personal commitment and enthusiasm to end the death penalty
- Self-motivated and able to work with a team of diverse people and organizations.
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Comfortable with analyzing and articulating complex issues and communicating them to a variety of audiences.
- Experience with grassroots organizing, online organizing and/or communications.
- Basic computer competency.
- Direct or personal experience with Republican or conservative individuals or organizations a plus.
- Participate in Steering Committee meetings, sharing work, coordinating tactics, and evaluating strategy.
- Assist with and attend large Coalition events such as speaking tours and the Annual Meeting.
Conservative outreach and organizing
- Arrange dialogues about the death penalty at small gatherings of conservatives, including Pachyderm Clubs and local Tea Party groups, sharing information about how abolishing the death penalty fits with conservative values, identifying grasstops individuals that the Coalition can work with to advance our work.
- Energize Montana Conservatives Concerned About the Death Penalty, building a solid group of committed participants and creating a strong presence for the group at conservative events and in media, including social media.
Republican Party organizing
- Gather intelligence on potential candidates for election and meet with candidates before they stake out a position on the death penalty, preventing them from pinning themselves in a corner.
- Participate in Party events that foster relationships with individual party members and legislators/candidates specifically.
- Facilitate a Republican Advisory Group of key legislative leaders in the Republican Party who support abolition and who can further our cause in the legislature and in the Party.
- Coordinate efforts with the Coalition lobbyist to ensure coverage of target legislators and candidates.
Evangelical and Religious outreach and organizing
- Set up dialogues about the death penalty with individual members and pastors of evangelical churches.
- Help mobilize the members of the Montana Catholic Conference (MCC) and the Montana Association of Christians through communications, publications, and events in churches, coordinating work with the Coalition board members.
To Apply: Email cover letter, resume, and three references to: JenK@mtabolitionco.org; incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications will be reviewed beginning July 15th, 2016.
Online applications can be submitted through the Montana Nonprofit Association